Make Your Own Dog Collar Accessory
Published: Sep. 02, 2009
Subject: Perfect Pet Pouches
Category: Dog People's Choice
Unlike the fashion-impaired science teachers we had in college, the Woof Reporter spotted one chemistry professor with serious style. Meet Amy. She’s the talented science teacher/dog-enthusiast, blogger and artist behind the stunning jewelry and crafts at her blog, theb-line.
And like any good pup parents, Amy makes it her business to be ready when her dogs do theirs. That’s right. For anyone who’s ever forgotten the poop bags, listen up. Amy’s got an easy-to-make little "wallet" your dog can wear right on his or her collar for storing poop bags. You don’t even need a sewing machine to make it. Take a look and try this craft project yourself! The instructions from Amy’s blog follow and see the photos for each step at the link below.
To make pet pouches you need:
- Fabric (3" x 8") swatch
- Needle and thread (or you can use a sewing machine)
- Straight pins
- 2 inches of 1" wide Velcro
- Cut your fabric into a 3" x 8" rectangle.
- Fold each of the short ends over by 1/2 inch and sew down the center of the fabric, 1/4 inch from the fold. Repeat on the other end.
- With the good side of the fabric toward you, pin the velcro to the middle of the fabric. Make sure that one side of the velcro is up while the other is down. They should be overlapping quite a bit and sticking to each other now. Baste the velcro in place and remove pins.
- Fold one side up (the back side of the fabric will be exposed) about 1/2 inch beyond the velcro. Now, fold the other side over as well so that it overlaps the first "flap" by about 1 inch.
- Sew along both edges of the pouch about 1/4 inch from the edge.
- Flip the right sides of the fabric out. Be sure to use a knitting needle or something pointed to push out the corners of the pouch so they’re square.
For more information and the photos that go with the step-by step instructions, stop by the blog post below.
Amy’s pup Lola is modeling the Pet Pouches above.
Add this page to your favorite Social Bookmarking websites